Spoken Seasons Continued...


Spoken Seasons

Natural leaves,  natural pressed flowers, plaster, golden chain, museum wax, black foam board, hot glue, pallet wood, plexiglass, acrylic paint and water (stain), nails and screws

21",  24",  3"




Found Object




















Artist Statement

        Spoken seasons, has already been spoken about but if I can hint more into what’s spoken seasons really means even more so now that a shadowbox was created for it, I would begin How a shadowbox works. Shadowbox is used to contain contents within inside of it and it can’t be touched. A shadowbox is meant to keep the outside from coming in. And with spoken seasons, I have created space of natural cycles with my dancing leaf ladies.and I created a shadowbox because these dancing ladies represent the four seasons that we go throughout every year. The seasons are consistent maybe not at all times of the year, but we can always count on them to happen every single year. As humans we love to get our hands on things and control them the way we want to so we can learn more about them, but with spoken season, I can’t happen. because we cannot physically change the seasons as they come and go, however they choose to. And I find such beauty in the natural beginnings of every season, and so I wanted to highlight that with spoken seasons.

        This works speaks for itself, because if I had to speak for it then what’s the point?The narrative, but completely change, considering. Bound within this imperfect box made of pallet, wood, and plexiglass lies this beautiful artwork of natures, lovely colors that it’s left behind. I love this piece, because as the years go on deletes will change, the colors will turn, and it eventually will start to scramble. But isn’t that the beauty of all the seasons because we can always hope and know that there will be another more beautiful season to come.

        I like to think of human and seasons as a mutual respect between humans and the environment. I’ve been taking this art in an environment class at Flagler College, and I’ve learned a lot about what we don’t comprehend as to what the environment tells us that it wants. We sort of take and not give as much as we should and that’s all that the environment asked back from us. But with the seasons, we know, and can count on them to always come at their time, but they always come. And we respect this, and we pay no mind to it as it happens freely on its own. 

        I find this work to be considered definitive. It is complete in its own. There’s a hyper conscious of what’s going on here that I can appreciate. Also being able to complete this work at the end of my semester is also a beautiful thing to me. As working even more so in the wood shop with my hands has given me much appreciate that I feel I would never receive getting a frame from the store.

        If I can unwrap what the light source does for the work, I would begin with vignette. This is a certain filter that can be applied to images to blur the edges of your image and bring attention to the fore ground of the work. I’ve attempted at this and really have tried to create an aroma of feelings inside the box. As the lights are off, winter and fall seem relevant for the audience to point out as to how they feel during those times, dark and gloomy. As for when their on, more of a summer warmth and spring feeling comes to mind.

My Practice

        When it comes to my practice, and finding my intervention for an artwork, none of it will ever come easy at first. A lot of time and effort needs to be considered when I’m thinking of an art idea. I need to be inspired in the space that I am currently in. Because without inspiration from the outside, where would I get it? As I’ve worked through sculpture in this class and created work, that is beyond what I’ve ever created before, I learned to create for myself. I’ve never done this before, and it was very freeing to be able to use certain materials to freely create  Ideas that I have made in my head. My artistic practice may seem similar to some other artists, but it is truly unique to me, considering my thought process and how I work my way to the final idea. But if we can begin to comprehend it would start with an artistic space, which I find to be a coffee shop.  This is where the thoughts begin in the artist ideas come to life. As I sit and listen to the sounds of the birds and the trees whistling in the wind as I sit outside of a coffee shop ideas start to flow in as the leaves start to wrestle.  I sit with my coffee and I sip and at every sip I have a confirmed idea as to what I would like for my art to have happened to it. And by the end of that last sip of coffee, I start my practice. I come into contact with a lot of complications, but I don’t let them find the end results of my work. I would define myself as a very determined artist to create something impactful and memorable for my viewers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spoken Seasons

Natural History of The Senses Presentation Assignment